Friday, October 12, 2007

But will they invite her to more Republican National Conventions?

Ann Colter has said something stupid. I know that is not newsworthy. And usually I don't wish to use this blog to give a voice to nitwits like her who don't know when to shut up. But she talks about being in New York City for the Republican National Convention in 2004...before she talks about how Jews need to be "perfected," and how all America should be Christian. So the question isn't about Colter's comments, which don't really come as a surprise to anyone who has ever heard her say anything before. The question is when the Republican Party, which has put so many of our leaders in power over the years, is going to stop inviting her to their convention. If I were doing PR for the Republicans, I wouldn't want her anywhere near.

So do I believe Ann Coulter's books should be yanked from bookstore shelves? No. Would I boycott a bookstore that sells Mein Kampf? No, because I believe it is history and the last thing we should do is ban history to prevent people from learning from it. But if I walked in to a bookstore and saw a display table up front promoting Mein Kampf, would I ever return to that bookstore? No, not unless it was with news cameras or the Anti-Defamation League.

Normally I embed Youtube videos when I want people to see something. I don't believe the aforementioned woman deserves another platform, but if you must watch it, click that Youtube link and search for it. Hate-driven speech is not consistent with a participatory form of government like democracy. Ultimately, it turns people away from the process, allowing a small minority to exercise a great amount of power in our republic. Sometimes it is hate-driven, and sometimes it is just the same talking heads blaming each other. But when the American people see someone legitimately stand up for what we see as our values, we will march to the polls in droves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the Pubs (my nickname du jour for the republicans) invite her for the humor factor. She may be an abomination, but she's rarely NOT entertaining.... Or maybe that's only if you have as sick and wrong a mind as I do and enjoy watching people like that make asses of themselves in public. But then again, I read her column weekly just to see how loony she can get before someone breaks her kneecaps and we have Nancy Kerrigan-esque footage of her on the ground, clutching her legs screaming "WHY?????" Okay, that's all from me today.