Monday, August 4, 2008

Bashas' takes my advice, raises money for hungry

Okay, Bashas' probably didn't get the idea from me, but several months ago I suggested that grocery stores should stop asking for an extra dollar at checkout to fund the disease of the month, and instead should put aside medical research briefly and ask people to give to help the hungry and those facing foreclosure on their homes. Bashas' is doing just that, with money going to St. Vincent de Paul and local food banks, and those donating getting a chance at prizes. And to my union friends upset about Bashas' anti-union views and tactics, this isn't a plug for them specifically or a statement on that battle. I simply am glad someone is doing something to help those truly in need right now. I hope other retailers who ask for donations at the checkout line will do likewise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of Bashas. I think their money would be better spent treating their Food City workers with dignity and respect. They can start with letting workers take time off to go to the doctor or recover from for on-the-job related injuries without getting fired.