Sunday, September 23, 2007

Can't we all just Move On?

I can't say I am an active member of Move On. I used to get their e-mails, but they soon cluttered up my inbox, constantly asking me to tell my Senator or Congressman yet again what I felt about the same issue.

That said, I think Move On has done some great media over the years, and if nothing else, the past couple weeks, they sure have generated plenty of earned (i.e. free) media for their organization. They take out one newspaper ad and next thing they are all over the news. Talk about amplifying your message. The U.S. Senate even voted 72-25 to condemn the now infamous ad referring to General David Petraeus as General Betray Us because they feel he is misleading Americans and painting a false picture of success in Iraq.

Was the language inflammatory? Perhaps. Is it covered by the First Amendment? Absolutely, just like the equally inflammatory rhetoric from the right. But does anybody see some hypocracy here? (Imagine that in politics!) After all, those crying loudest about the Petraeus ad are the Bush Administration and a handful of their loyalists - the same people who themselves questioned the loyalty and patriotism of anybody opposing the invasion of Iraq, even if the critics were retired Generals such as Wesley Clark or Joseph Hoar.

No comments: